Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Invasive species probably have the best chance of surviving the next apocalypse

From http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/whatis.shtml, this is the definition of an invasive species:


An "invasive species" is defined as a species that is
1) non-native (or alien) to the ecosystem under consideration and
2) whose introduction causes or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human health.

Going by that definition humanity itself is an invasive species.  We're native to an ecosystem somewhere in Africa, IIRC.  And we cause economic, environmental harm, and harm to our own health.

When we identify invasive species we tend to go a little crazy trying to eradicate them.  We've poisoned and restocked entire rivers, spent hundreds of hours pulling up roots, and shot animals on sight because they were the "wrong" species.  Our own invasion goes unchecked.  It's pretty ironic when you think about it.

I saw an article today about the "Sixth Extinction".  There are five mass extinctions in the geological record, and the speed with which we are losing species now says we're in the middle of one now.  Here's one link of many:  http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfrontiers/eldredge2.html

Some animals are doing all right, I guess.  Those who live with us (there have probably never been so many felines on the earth as now) or those who live around us.  Rats are doing well, I believe.  Animals who can use our extensive sewer systems are probably fine. 

Today as I walked out to the car this evening in the fading light, my personal safety came to mind.  To be honest I don't think about it much at work, what with the guards at all the gates and the fences and the pointy wire.  But I practiced due diligence and I scanned the area around the car as I approached.  And I saw something moving!  I thought maybe it was a feral cat, but as I got closer it stood up and I realized it was a fat, cranky raccoon.  This raccoon was not afraid of me.  It was annoyed that I was interrupting it.  It glared at me and then hopped down into the storm sewer.

So the raccoons seem to be coexisting just fine.

I'm thinking I should check my car for missing antennae, hubcaps, and hoses.

1 comment: