Monday, March 28, 2011

I am shrinking unequally

As I was getting dressed this morning I pulled a pair of jeans out of the clean laundry basket (What?  I washed them.  What do you mean I have to put them away?) and put them on.  And they were slightly on the loose side.  The awesome thing about this is these are my small jeans.  I've barely lost any weight recently, but my pants are getting bigger!  This can only be a good thing.

So now I have three sizes of jeans in the house.  And I just ordered a size smaller, so I have something to move down to.  Because I'm an optimist.  I'm not such an optimist, however, that I'm getting rid of the old jeans.  Stuff happens.  Injuries.  Lyme disease.  Severe stress.  I'll shove the big jeans way in the back of a cabinet.  If I still don't need them in five years, they can get tossed then.

Still, ordering new, smaller pants was a very nice feeling. 

At the same time, I'm thinking about ordering myself some new riding boots.  I've had two pair of custom riding boots in my life.  My mom bought me the first pair during college.  I coughed up for the second pair a decade or more ago.  In both cases, the reason I got super expensive custom riding boots was my oversize calves.  They just didn't fit off the shelf boots, not by a long shot.  Despite my pants getting larger, my calves have not shrunk appreciably.  In fact they may be larger.  I just checked my right calf and it's at 18.5" circumference.  In case you haven't measured the calves of a population and taken any averages recently, 18.5" is HUGE.  And sadly, 18.5" is larger than the second, larger, custom made pair of boots will fit.

Fuller Fillies sells riding gear for larger women.  I don't fit much of their stuff because I'm not *that* large.  I think my waist is 4" too small for their smallest breeches.  Their boots, however, will fit up to 17-19".  I have to measure myself with breeches on to see if I can sneak under the 19" limit.  It'll be close.  But if I do, I could ride in leather boots for the first time in years!  I won't know what to do with myself.

The boots have zippers up the back so getting in and out of them should be a breeze.  Assuming I can get under the 19" limit with breeches on, my only real question will be "dress boots or field boots?"  Ah, to have the option..

No comments:

Post a Comment