Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Low carb backpacking in reality, so far

I went on an overnight trip a couple of weeks ago.  The food I brought kept me going and feeling good, but it wasn't a good test.  I wasn't really out there long enough or working hard enough to put any strain on the system.  However it did speak to what packs well, at least a little.

For snacks I had
Lara bars
trail mix made from seeds, nuts and dried fruit
dried mango
beef jerky
100 calorie packs of almonds

I ate some of all of it, and they made good trail snacks

For lunch I had
crystal light in my water
low carb wrap
individual size cream cheese
individual size hummus
cranberries
alfalfa sprouts (that DeLee brought)
and a piece of string cheese that DeLee also brought

The wrap worked pretty well despite the weird ingredients :)

Dinner got slightly low carb.  I couldn't find my quinoa when I was packing, so I packed
home dehydrated turkey chili
ramen to eat with it
dark chocolate squares
scotch

Breakfast didn't stick with me AT ALL.  And it wasn't low carb either so that's kinda my fault.  I had
Alpine Air Strawberry Granola with some kind of milk powder already in it.  Didn't taste that great and had no staying power.  Ah well.  I started in on the snacks early.  Also I had several hot mugs of Pero.

Of course, we happened upon a fantastic breakfast buffet a couple of hours after breakfast, and that *did* stick with me.. I can't even remember everything we ate, but I know it included scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, and a piece of Reuben casserole.  I justify the insane meal by telling myself I burned off a lot of energy trying to stay warm the night before.  (Which is true.)  Whether it was justified or not, DeLee and I enjoyed the heck out of the meal.

Anyway, so far it seems that staying away from processed grains is about 50/50 for me.  The snacks I brought gave me plenty of energy, which bodes well for future trips.  I really need to find the quinoa and/or corn pasta.  And I need a better breakfast answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment