Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Preparing for the first backpacking trip of the year

I spent this evening gathering my crapola together to get my backpack ready for an overnight trip.  It was all scattered hither and yon (and some of it still is!)  I am shocked at how heavy the dang thing is, and I haven't even put the food or water in yet.

If the weather forecast continues to be good, I think I'm going to take out the tent and tent accessories, and just put in a groundsheet.  If there isn't room at the shelter (unlikely in Maryland in March, I'd think) I can just sleep out under the stars.  Given the lack of leaves I might actually *see* some stars, too.  That'd be nice.

The forecast calls for highs in the 60's on Saturday, with lows in the lower 30's.  Might be a wee bit chilly in my 30 degree bag, but I'm bringing a sleeping bag liner and fleece to wear to bed.  Plus there's always the option of cuddling up to DeLee.  ;)  Though I think that's unlikely without us being crammed into a two man tent together.

DeLee and I are both looking forward to a night out.   Most would be aiming for a night out on the town, but not us!  We like a night out in the woods.  For me it provides a rather dramatic break from everyday routine.  We aren't doing a tough route (in fact, this is nearly as easy as it gets on the AT) but the act of walking with a pack is enough.  It breaks the mold of the typical Saturday.

I'm looking forward to checking out a shelter that has been built since the last time I went through the area.  My friend Felix stayed there a few weeks ago and it looked pretty swanky.  The finish on the boards looks better than the finish on my living room floor.  Admittedly, the shelter is probably less than five years old, and my living room is one hundred and forty, but still.  Finding a shelter that looks that nice is rare.

Before I go I'll have to run down to check on Pluto.  I'm still waiting to hear back from the lab about his blood test.  Given that it got mailed out Monday, and this is Wednesday, it really hasn't been that long.  But it feels like I've been waiting approximately forever.  His lymph node seemed a bit more swollen today than yesterday.  The area is dry, though, and the vet gave me permission to take the diaper off his face.  I'm continuing to check it every morning before work.  The vet is going to come out for a followup next week.  I hope nothing surgical has to be done to it.  I'm sure that in that location, any surgical activity would require full anesthesia.  It's too close to important stuff to be cutting around there when there's a chance he'd move.  That said, I don't actually expect it to need surgery.  I'm just speculating.  Probably it will eventually shrink (with time and antibiotics.)

And, when I get home I need to go through our storage and find smaller pants.  I may need to outright order some.  The pair I'm wearing this weekend is kind of unraveling in the hindquarter area.  I hope I don't have to make any emergency repairs.  All I have with me for thread is dental floss.  It'd be really, really obvious.  And I doubt it'd feel that great on my heinie.

No comments:

Post a Comment