Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pros and Cons: career vs chucking it all

I spent a few moments today pondering Here vs There.

Here:  Government language.  OMB Circular A-130.  And a mandatory survey that asks me for my opinion on a topic about which I know nothing.  I had to check with Wikipedia to find out what they were asking me.

There:  No sounds but my own breathing, leaves crunch, stones grating underfoot.

Here:  8 hours with a butt in a chair.

There:  8 hours climbing up hills, gasping for breath, feeling the burn in the calves, then the agonizing ache of knees holding me up on the long, slippery descents.  Unpredictable falls.  Blisters.

Here:  A cat on my lap every fifteen minutes or so.  Hot beverages available at will.

There:  As much food as I can carry and feel like eating. 

Here:  A cool, dreary day, but I'm indoors with central heat and a stool to put my feet up on.

There:  Storms, cold wind, rain leaking down your sleeves and neck.  But exertion keeps you warm, and there really isn't anywhere you have to be.  You can set up your tent on the next flat spot if you so desire.

Here:  Just SO sick and tired of bureaucracy.

There:  Satisfaction in a day's hike, conquering tough hills, meeting interesting people.

Here:  My beloved and a yoga class.

There:  Loneliness, hiking alone even when you don't want to, no room in the shelter.

It's a toss-up today.  Most days I'd vote for the trail, but when the weather sucks?  I'm not saying it makes bureaucracy look attractive, but it at least makes it more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment