Saturday, September 3, 2011

The hiker hobble is a wee bit excessive

In an attempt to get back to my regularly scheduled life, I met up with DeLee this weekend and we went for our regular walk in the park.  Both of us found it more strenuous than usual, and it took us longer than usual.  The lunch afterward, however, was completely normal.

Although, normally when you go out to lunch the cashier doesn't exclaim "Where you been?!" because you haven't been there for a month.  And the waiter doesn't ask where your husband is.  Probably the waiter doesn't look knowing when you say "Have you heard of DragonCon?"  Also, the waiter probably isn't shocked that you want a regular drink rather than diet.

I'm trying to remember how long I've been going to that restaurant. 12 years?  It kinda shows.  They never said a word over the years as I brought in a succession of men.  About the men, that is.  I bet they wondered, though.  They noticed when JD and I got engaged, and then when we got married.  They're probably waiting for me to show up with a swollen belly.  (Ain't gonna happen.)  I've observed their pregnancies, and then their babies, who turned into children, who are kind of tall by now.  I like it.  I like the continuity of a neighborhood restaurant, where they remember you and care what happens to you.  They've been there for my dates, my breakups, my illnesses, my own little tragedies and celebrations.  I worry about them and how their business does when the economy is down.  If they closed it would leave an unreasonably large hole in my life.

Anyway.  This post is not about that restaurant.

Before I got off track on food (it's a hiker thing) I was talking about how the hiking was harder than usual.  I still feel kind of tired and sore from my vacation, I think.  Dang that was a tough hike.  It's going to take me some time to bounce back.  I don't know what I'd do if I were thruhiking.  You don't have weeks of bounce back time on a thruhike.

I wonder how I would have felt, physically, had I had time to complete my thruhike last year.  I felt great in Vermont.. maybe not so much by the time I finished New Hampshire and Maine?

Shoot, I just poked my left knee with a finger and it hurt when I touched it.  I don't think I've ever had this level of post hike soreness before when I haven't actually sprained / strained / broken something.  It makes me feel decrepit.  One lousy month of hiking and I'm gimping around.  I didn't have any particular falls or incidents that would have given me traumatic injuries, but I think the sustained effort of big steps up and down has taken a toll on my knees and ankles.  If they're not feeling less ouchy in a week or so I guess I'll have to go talk to my doctor and admit I did the crazy long distance hiking thing again, and get her to help me.  I hate doing that.  She keeps suggesting that I take up easier hobbies.

Plus there's the fact that I'm not overflowing with energy.  I really should be, by now.  Instead I'm sitting on my arse (after a 3 hour morning hike, admittedly) instead of cleaning out the fridge, which dearly needs it.

Perhaps I will clean the fridge out tomorrow.

Or perhaps I will nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment