Monday, September 19, 2011

Daylight touched my skin and I didn't combust

I was somehow out of it enough to sleep right through my alarm this morning, yet when I finally woke up (over an hour late) I felt refreshed.  Isn't that odd?  I think that's odd.

Somebody clued me in last night that Greenbelt Park is a hotbed of Lyme disease.  I googled and sure enough!  I only have one definite case of Lyme from there, but two out three of the others could have come from there too.  Which would be annoying.  Mostly because I wasn't smart enough to figure it out on my own.

So, now I'm looking for other areas to hike in during tick season (i.e. when it's nice out.)  Tara offered to show me around her side of town.  Initially I thought it was too close and would also have lots of Lyme, but then I read that the Beltsville Agricultural Research Facility uses the "four poster" deer feeders / permethrin treatment stations so it's probably a good bet.  And anywhere that deer aren't protected and thus have no boom in population is probably safer, too.

Also today, in between fevering and chilling (I was all over the place today, excitingly changeable with the personal thermostat) I was considering how I am quite an expert in having Lyme disease now.  Maybe not on the level of a New Englander, but for a Marylander I'm right up there.  I caught it the first time when doctors here had barely even heard of it.  And yet, there is still so much I don't know.  Like, if you take antibiotics after first stage Lyme rather than second stage Lyme, how long does it take to heal up?  Ida know.  I shall find out soon, though.

(Hee!  I just got up to let the dog in and saw my reflection in the door.  I had forgotten I was wearing my wizard hat.  I bet the neighbors wonder sometimes.  Probably about more than just the hat.)

I got out on a walk today.  I wore long sleeves and long pants, SPF 45 on all exposed skin, and carried a golf umbrella.  No sunburn!  This is a major accomplishment for me when drugs are making me photosensitive.  The only problem is that carrying a golf umbrella for an hour is annoying.  It's actually a little tiring.  I'm kind of hoping for rain tomorrow, as walking in a raincoat seems more appealing.

I briefly considered getting one of these:  http://www.umbrellahat.net/  but A) it looks ridiculous, B) it isn't wide enough, and C) if it were wide enough it would be even more ridiculous.  I did actually order one of these:  http://www.equivisor.com/ .  It's giant visor that goes on over a riding helmet.  It won't protect the back of my neck or my hands, but it should do a dandy job over my face.  With luck it will be here by the weekend, when I hope to venture out into the daylight to see my horse. Technically I will see him in the daylight this Thursday when the vet comes out to vaccinate him.  It's supposed to be cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Bodes ill for riding with Tara in the evening, but well for my chances of being outside unscathed before dark.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that the next month will probably be about Lyme disease and sunburns.  You might want to go away and come back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment