Saturday, September 24, 2011

Photosensitive Superpower, Activate!

As I was getting undressed last night I glanced in the mirror and realized that I could see bra lines on my skin.  Which meant that I had burned/tanned through my shirt.  That only could have happened on Thursday, the only day I was out in even a little bit of sunlight.  So I guess I'm a bit more photosensitive than I thought.  The weird part is my face didn't burn.  I do use a moisturizer with sunscreen in it after my shower, so perhaps that protected me.  If so, it's more effective than I expected.

However, the fact that I'm cooking through my clothes after one week of doxycycline means that I do have to be just as careful this time as all the other times I've taken it.  Our very rainy week had given me false hope.  So although I now feel good enough to ride, I pretty much can't any time it's nice enough to do so.  If the temperature were to drop significantly I could bundle up and ride.  But without the ability to layer, I'm going to have to restrict riding to late evening.  Grr.  I'm happy that I have energy, and also frustrated in my ability to use said energy.  (My continuing low grade fever tells me that the energy is likely to come and go anyway.)

The same goes for hiking.  I have a few ideas for local hikes, but unless we get a good rainy day I don't think I'll be able to try them.   Today turned out to be cloudy but otherwise nice.  This is frustrating for two reasons : I can't spend much time outdoors, and I HAD planned a get together for today but cancelled it because the weather was supposed to be awful.  I'm at loose ends now.  For another month or thereabouts.

Our local library has started doing electronic lending, and this finally made a Kindle look worthwhile to me.  Just as I was about to order one, JD sent me a link and told me I should wait a few more days:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/23/amazon-press-invite-teases-long-awaited-tablet/

Argh!  So I guess I'll wait a few more days.

Let's see, what else.. Oh!  Tara sent me a link the other day to a pretty good hat.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1696-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

She liked that it could be decorated. I liked that it only weighed 2.5 oz and could be easily packed up into a flat disk.  I don't know that I'll decorate it, as I haven't thought of anything I'd want to do to it that wouldn't get beat up easily and/or stain my skin and gear.  It's fairly enormous, which is nice.  Being made of thin cotton it's not super UV-proof but in combination with some sunscreen I hope it will do a decent job.
Hat in its little carrier

Hat sproinged out into all of its enormous glory
It has chin ties, which are absolutely necessary with something so likely to catch the wind.  I look forward to trying it out.  Given that it only cost five bucks, I'm not too worried about damaging the thing, either.

Bouncing on to the next topic, when the nurse called yesterday we talked about diet a little.  And I've been thinking about it.  She suggested making two small changes and leaving it at that for a while.  That seems as reasonable as anything else.  I know one change I want to make is eating more vegetables.  I like, and eat, vegetables now of course.  But I think it would be good to eat more.  (I already eat a lot of fruit.)  So I've been brainstorming ways to make that happen.  Most veggies don't come in convenient single serving sizes the way that fruits do.  I'm thinking that I could prepare veggies for myself once a week and stick them in the refrigerator.  Here's what I have so far:


rinse and pack:
bags of carrots
bag of celery sticks plus peanut butter or cheese

lightly cooked veggies separated into single servings 
OR bags of frozen veggies separated into single servings


Like I said, I'm working on it.

I enacted my vegetable resolution, if that's what it is, right away:

Lunch included more brussels sprouts than sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment