Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Eastern vs Western Ultralight

I just watched Glen Van Peski's video on "What's in my pack?"

Glen is the founder of Gossamer Gear.  He knows his stuff.  He regularly goes on backpacking trips using the gear he made, and it clearly works for him.  He carries some stuff specific to his own needs (prevention or treatment of fever blisters due to sun exposure, padding to put around scar tissue on his feet) but even with that his base weight is 4.7 lb.  That includes his backpack, shelter, and sleeping bag.  It's impressive.

The thing is, as I watch the video it's obvious to me that his setup just would not work for me.  He keeps his sleep socks in his shoulder strap - I tried that and mine got soaked.  He has no dry clothing to change into. His shelter has no bug screening whatsoever, it's a small tarp.  He had no bug dope.  Basically, his gear would need to be supplemented to work in a wet, buggy environment.  Like, oh, say, the whole east coast.

It occurs to me that most of the serious ultralighters are westerners. And I think in part it's because they *don't* have to continuously protect every item from the elements, and they aren't besieged by mosquitoes and biting gnats at every turn.

I'm not saying that these guys aren't experts.  They definitely are.  I'm just saying I don't think their methods are as appropriate to my environment as I would like.  Which means that I'm never going to be super ultralight unless I start hiking elsewhere.

If you're super healthy and resilient, you can take a fair amount of abuse and be fine.  I'm neither super healthy nor particularly resilient, so I need things like dry clothes to wear in camp.  Glen carries a lightweight rain jacket, sleep socks, gloves, and a hat.  No backup shirt. No backup pants. He says that he normally doesn't even carry a down vest - he gets in his sleeping bag.  He carried a vest for the demonstration, mentioning that he would bring it if he were camping with people who liked to hang out at night.

Also I noticed that he didn't have every little thing in ziplocks.  I've learned the hard way to put all my stuff in ziplocks.  One big ziplock to put all your food in may keep the odor in, but it won't protect the individual food items once a little moisture gets in that bag.  He had no pack cover.  A pack cover, or pack liner (or both!) is essential to me.  I've been through rain storms with a pack cover, with my gear inside the backpack in drysacks, where my gear STILL got wet.  I've had whole weeks go by that way!  Combining days of soaking wet with no dry clothing to get into, and a minimalist sleeping setup (no insulation on the bottom, and only a torso pad for cushioning) is a recipe for hypothermia and misery for me.

So I think that Ultralight might be divided up into two categories.  One for wet camping, and one for dry.  With the possible exception of drought years, the Appalachian Trail will almost always fall into the wet category.  I'm pondering coming up with my own Wet Ultralight list.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the link to the ultra-light example and have to agree with you about Eastern vs Western hiking. We just returned from a week in the Rockies. My husband and I have regular friendly arguments re: Appalachians vs. Rockies. I won this time when I pointed out we were not sweating to death and were not covered with bug bites. Just watched out for the odd tick.

    We have spent 10 days camping in the Grand Canyon and slept in the open every single night. Not even mosquito netting needed. Heavenly. Just shake out the scorpions before you bed down. Loved it.

    We don't camp any more. And our hikes are more like 3 mile walks now, but oh, we can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some Appalachians, but they definitely have drawbacks. Wet ones. Ticky ones.

    How come you don't camp anymore? Even just going to a campground for a night and roasting marshmallows can be really pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I guess I love me some clean sheets, AC and central heat. And a hot shower in a private bath. Also, sucky like Lyme (I am so sorry), I have developed Lupus. For a while we thought it was Lyme from the symptoms but the titre came back negative. My flares are closely tied to sleep and stress, sun exposure and exhaustion...all parts of the outdoor world. Used to do 10 miles without a thought. Now 3 miles, some days even a half mile, may trigger a flare and put me down for a few days.

    But I love living vicariously by reading, too. And doing whatever I can. My biggest thrills having been going down the Colorado River through The Grand Canyon in a wooden dory with a boatman (as i said) back before the motorized rafts took over. And hiking to Iceberg Lake in Glacier...and a great Alaska and Yukon Territory trip (inland, not cruise), so I'm much luckier than most.

    And not to complain but I also disintegrated a big toe joint and have an artificial joint that isn't as good as the real thing, for sure, but better than the one that broke up into pieces. Ouch!

    I admired your pluck with all your physical difficulties. Keep going! It's fun to drive through the national parks, do my 3 miles when I can, and chat with all the trail buffs who come my way.

    I'm happy. And if I really take care of myself I'm well more than half of the time. Thanks for asking. PJ

    ReplyDelete