Monday, March 12, 2012

Yay Pluto can move his neck again!

I checked on Pluto after work today.  He is feeling MUCH better.  The hot swelling in his neck is vastly reduced.  Not gone, but not noticeable unless you're looking for it.  He had his head down in his feed bucket when I got there.

When I got to the field, he was immediately his own normal unhelpful self.  He likes to get right in my face and impede my progress.  I'm not sure *why* he likes to do it, but he does.  The skeeters were out in swarms so I decided to walk across his pasture to get to the tack room where the fly spray is.  He pranced around me the whole way.  Sometimes beside, sometimes in front, always totally focused on me.  Which sounds much cuter than it actually is.

When I came out with the flyspray, I had to reinforce his training.  Every year we go through an "oh no flyspray run!" phase.  This year it lasted fifteen seconds.  I fed Mystery one of Pluto's cookies and that helped persuade Pluto to come back and get flysprayed.  One quick spritz, one cookie (they're very little cookies) until he gave up and let me walk around spraying his entire body.  What he didn't know is I didn't have any cookies left, so after he held totally still and got sprayed all over?  No treat.  I would have felt like a heel if he hadn't spent the trip all the way back to the other side of the pasture attempting to impede my progress again.

So I guess I'm not going to fret about Pluto anymore this week.  No daily visits after all.

Sergio stopped by on his way back to the feed room to check in with me.  He had kept a close eye on Pluto yesterday evening and this morning, which was kind of him.  I must say (knock on wood) that I'm pretty happy with our current setup at the farm.  Sergio is diligent, conscientious, and smart.  John is thoughtful and capable.  We have very little drama at the farm.  That's just how I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment