Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How do you feel about savasana? Do you feel that it's essential?

My yoga teacher was sick tonight.  Class was cancelled.  The backup yoga teacher is taking a cake decorating class with her daughter this session (and let me tell you, she is super super pleased to be doing so.)  So I just came home and ate leftover pizza, and now I'm having some kind of bad-food-no-yoga guilt.  The pizza was pretty good though.

I love my yoga teacher.  Seriously.  She is fantastic, and I am lucky that I blundered into her class.  But she's not going to last forever.  She's had cancer the whole time I've known her, and she's spent the last year getting chemo.  She feels like crap a lot of the time.  At some point, she is going to decide it's time to retire.  She is not a young woman.

So, I feel that it would behoove me to start looking around.  I'm going to have to interview some yoga teachers.  What do I say?  I'm coming up with some questions even now.


  • How do you feel about plank?  Do you feel that it is essential?  How about side plank?
  • Do you adjust the poses to fit the decrepitude of the students in your class?  Do you ask your class about their disabilities?  Like, every single time you teach a class?  Because people feel different on different days, you know.
  • Do you insist on inversions?  Do you provide alternate poses for your students who are fond of their various arteries?
  • Do you have a good backup instructor?  Does her daughter insist on mother daughter time?  Or anything having to do with baking?
  • Are you okay with groans?  
  • How about jokes?
And so on.  I don't think it's going to be so easy to replace her.

No comments:

Post a Comment