Monday, March 26, 2012

Trail Journal Entry 3/26/2012 - Panorama

My tent survived the night extremely well.  My Hello Kitty duct tape patch was waterproof.  No inappropriate water reached the interior of the tent.  However, it was hella windy up there on the knoll where I set up.  I was fine until 4 AM, when it really kicked it up a notch.  Then the wind started to steal heat from my sleeping bag and sleeping pad.  I slept on and off, but I was chilly.  Once the sun came up I packed up and went down to the shelter to make breakfast.  It was strikingly warmer inside.  It faced the sun and had its back to the wind.  I'd say it was at least ten degrees warmer inside than just outside.  I quickly shed almost all of my insulating garments.

We had a short hike down to Thornton Gap and briefly onward to Panorama.  We all really wanted to go down into Luray for lunch.  I took them to Uncle Buck's, which I first tried last weekend with Just Blue Skies.  A burger and fries and some corn fritters really hit the spot.  Eventually we got back in the car and I drove Weaver and Sarge back to the park.  After hugs and goodbyes they set off for the last half mile or so, making it a very short hiking day.  With their heavy packs their feet are hurting.  They were going to the next Byrd's nest, which is a really nice place.  I hope they have a peaceful night and don't get too cold.

I was sad to see them go.  They're a lot of fun to hike with, and I like both of them very much.  Weaver doesn't live too far away so I hope that I get to see her again in the future, after she finishes the AT.  Sarge's future whereabouts are undetermined.  Maybe we can do a reunion hike, if he's not too busy hiking across the country or sailing around the world.

I have a crazy busy week ahead of me (and another speech eeeee!) and I still have to de-grease myself and do a tick check.  I suppose I should get to that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment