Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pluto is on drugs. Again.

Today was Pluto's spring shots visit with the vet, plus she checked out his cough.  The left side of his chest is clear, but his right side is scratchy.  And he has a sore throat.  Poor guy!  That's a long sore throat to have.  He's back on antibiotics - this time by injection.  I'm having the vet come back for the second injection.  Normally I would give the injection, but it's really, really thick stuff.  I don't think I have the hand strength to do it, certainly not without someone else to hold the horse.

By the doctor's tape, Pluto weighs 916 right now.  That's quite a bit less than he weighed when she last taped him.  And that's AFTER he started gaining weight back.  He was as skinny this winter as he has been since when I first got him as an all elbows and knees youngster.  I'm glad we reversed the trend.  I hope he porks up a bit more.  Once his cough is under control I hope to get him working on the longe, maybe over cavaletti, to build his muscle back up.

I need to find out pricing for bloodwork.  Once he's relatively healthy again, I want to do some baseline tests to see how his immune system is doing.  And I want to test him for Lyme.  It's just so weird that he suddenly started getting sick after being so healthy all these years.  I want to know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment