Sunday, March 11, 2012

As it turns out, mint chocolate chip assuages guilt pangs

Poor Pluto.  Not only has he had every weird health problem in the last year, but he had a reaction to his antibiotic shot and now he has a stiff neck.  He can get his head down to the ground, but only with effort and strong motivation.  Eating grass is not a strong enough motivation.  He is the only horse at the farm not grazing on new spring grass today.

Did I notice this BEFORE I started riding?  No I did not.  Am I the worst horse mom in the world?  Why yes I am.  Do I have incredible guilt?  Why do you think Pluto got studmuffins today when he didn't do anything wonderful?

I verified that he could, with effort, eat out of his bowl.  I checked to make sure the water level in his tank would be higher this evening so he could drink easily.  And I checked his hay to make sure he could eat it without bending.  That about covered my options.  I had a wild idea about coming back with a horse sized ice pack, but A) I don't have one of those, B) he would never stand still for it, and C) I have to go get JD at the airport.

I expect I'll be checking in on Pluto a little more often than usual this week.

I metaphorically trudged home from the farm to do laundry.  And then I realized something:  it's warm enough to seamseal things!  So I hauled out my tent and sealed its seams.  It's drying right now.  I hope.  This is excellent timing, as the weather guessers are now saying it might rain, a little, next weekend.  Which could mean a rain of frogs.  I don't think my seamsealer guarantee covers that.  But should we just get regular old rain, I think I'm set.

PS:  Pluto, with a stiff neck, trying not to move very much?  Trots almost like a regular horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment