Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'm seldom grateful when things die, but..

Something really lucky happened today.  My car battery died.  Like, it was fine when I drove in to work, and when I went back out to the car it was so dead that I couldn't use the remote to unlock the batteries.  My first instinct was to text JD.  He immediately said he'd come out, but then I remembered that he was home sick so I got a jump from a co-worker.  And then I drove straight to the auto store and bought a new battery.

There was enough charge to start it again, so I drove it home, and then sick JD swapped out the battery.  Because there was no way I was going to do that.  My back hurt enough just from carrying the thing out of the store.  But he had some Dayquil in him so it was all right.

There was a lot of corrosion on the terminals.   I could have gotten it to go a while longer if I cleaned them off.  But I've been down this road before, and the battery still failed before too much longer.  Better to just get a new one while I have time, and it's not raining.

The lucky part is that I'm driving that car out to the middle of nowhere this weekend, and it could have very well waited until I was done hiking (and wanted it to start up at the trailhead parking lot) to die on me.  That would have been FAR worse.  So just having it die in the work parking lot was kind of nice by coincidence.

Since JD wasn't feeling well, he ordered pizza for dinner.  I have to go wallow now.  Feeling a little whale-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment