Saturday, April 7, 2012

You have to try harder if you want a truly awesome sandwich

I felt sick last night and this morning so I've been sleeping a lot.  Lunch seems to have perked me up.  I hope the trend continues, as I have a ton of plans for tomorrow.  Hiking, an REI visit to spend my rebate mad money, and Easter dinner with the Cottinghams.  A full day, you must admit.

Lunch was at Five Guys.  I got their little hamburger and shared some fries with JD.  I also got a glass of real Coke, figuring that some sugar and caffeine would instill a little energy.  And indeed it did.  On my burger, I got pickles, grilled onions, tomato, lettuce, and A-1 sauce.  You may feel that I'm being unnecessarily detailed, but I have a point.  Why is Five Guys feeling so great about their toppings?  They're pretty much sitting back on their laurels because they have A-1 as an option, you know what I mean?

I feel that a sincere burger joint needs more options.  Like fried eggs.  And peanut butter.  Sriracha sauce.  Blue cheese.  Swiss cheese.  Brie.  Grilled zucchini.  Sliced apples.  Maple bacon.  Sharp cheddar. Tzatziki sauce.  Cucumber slices.  Buffalo sauce.  Bean sprouts.  Alfalfa sprouts.  Horseradish.  And so on.

I have strong feelings about sandwiches.

With the help of Coke (and refills where I used the drink machine in unintended ways to make a Hi-C seltzer and a lemonade seltzer) I have enough energy to do some stuff, so I reduced the height of the stack of paper on my desk.  And I started unpacking from my last trip so that I can be ready for my next trip (a dayhike tomorrow) and the one after that (an overnight next weekend.)  Hence my dining room looks as if a backpack has exploded in it.  An all too familiar sight, in this household.

No comments:

Post a Comment