Thursday, April 19, 2012

Indignant Schnorkie

This Schnorkie is a piece of work.

I called the vet's office today because she's been limping.  She doesn't complain, she just limps.  And it gets better with exercise.  Turns out that's a symptom of luxating patella, which is common with yorkies.  Also, she's had allergy testing and she's allergic to common foods - beef, milk, chicken, eggs, lamb, potato, and soy.  AND.  She has "collapsing trachea" which is another common yorkie problem.  It explains the snoring and sleep apnea.

Yikes.  How did she ever make it to ten years old?  Will she become one of those partially mummified ancient little dogs, tottering around with no vision, no sense of smell, and only one good leg? Probably.

We had a good week wherein she had no accidents in the house, but now we are back to lots of accidents.  Sigh.  It's a process.  However, her aggression level with Beauty has gone WAY down.  Beauty keeps trying to get her to play.  Princess isn't interested.  She is, however, interested in fetching.  My Lab mix won't fetch, but the yorkie will?  Whatever, it's hilarious to watch.  Yesterday she started collecting all the stuffed squirrels (of which we have three) on the sofa next to me.  I picked one up, and when she came back with the next one she saw me holding the first squirrel.  Her whole body jerked in shock.  "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME?!" she practically screamed at me.  JD and I cracked up.  Ten pounds of yorkie = a whole lot of indignation.  I gave her the squirrel back.

When she brings the squirrels to be thrown, she isn't good about releasing them.  Unless you squeak the squeaker in them, and then it's like she's had an electric shock.   I am so amused by her and her squirrel obsession.

I think she was raised with many cats, as she has shown no aggression toward any of them.  And I caught her licking Olli.

Our petsitter of many years is going to come by to meet her.  I hope it goes well.  Princess is a pretty good guard dog.  She is far more alert and territorial than Beauty.  I don't think she could really hurt anybody, but she could gnaw your ankles pretty well with the teeth she has left.


3 comments:

  1. Wait a moment! I have one of those mummified dogs! No sight, no hearing, no teeth! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't draw that description out of the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my boss has one of those mummified dogs too...scheesh.

    ReplyDelete