Sunday, April 1, 2012

Less barking, more pooping, more Star Trek

My world is a much better place today.  It's sunny, I got to see a movie(1) with friends (one of whom I never get to see because she is one of the hardest working engineers at NASA), and we opened a bottle of Clos du Bois merlot for dinner.  That's one of my favorite wines.  And indeed the only bottle of wine we had left, in the red category.  (Mom Forinash, we have a bottle of white left with your name on it.)

Also, the Dogwai has been much less barky today.  Though equally poopy.  And, sadly, pee-ey.

I left a message with the dog training place where I took Paige(2), back when she was incorrigible.  They corriged her right proper.  I'm certain that they can set one little Shnorkie straight.

Also, the Shnorkie (aside from some excretions) has been much easier to get along with today.  Yes, she wants to be right next to either me or JD at all times.  But she has at least agreed to be next to us away from the sofa.  We were getting pretty tired of spending all our time in the living room.

Current ideas for replacement dog/mop names:  Dogwai, The Beast (to go with Beauty).

Dogwai over there has decided that, like all dogs, she is in love with JD.  She likes nothing better than to be three inches from his foot.  Or less.  The only way I'm going to get "my own" dog is if JD leaves town for a couple of months.  Which is an option.  Although probably not in the near future, as I don't see us with a third dog.  Two dogs, four cats, and a horse is sufficient.  We already have to get the county hoarder's license for the six housepets.  Seven would be insane.  More insane.

After several months in a cage at the vet's, I guess she'll deal okay with staying in her crate while we're at work.  Between the stitches and her inappropriate excretions, there is no way that we're leaving her out during the day.  Not for a while, anyway.  Also, the cats are still unsure that the asthmatic mop which has taken up residence on the first floor is safe to be around.  Andy was finally driven downstairs by hunger today, but he resents it.  Both he and Dori were thrilled when I went up to take a shower today so they could get petted and made much of (by JD - I was busy showering.)

Dogwai pleased to be the center of attention on the sofa.  Also pleased that Star Trek TNG is on.  We adopted a Trekkie.
This week will be the first in a long time with no physical therapy at all.  If the weather holds, I'll get out to see my horse.  I might even ride him.  He won't know what's going on.


(1) We went to see "The Hunger Games".  I was able to read the trilogy recently courtesy of my friend Renee, who lent them to me over Amazon.  The movie grossed some outrageous amount on its opening weekend.  I noted that it differed from the books in a couple of important respects, but the feel was much the same.  I don't understand why they chose to gift the pin as they did.  It's a key element.  And some things would have been very difficult / expensive to film.  But nevertheless I was captivated, except for the point about an hour in when I had to dash out to pee.  It's a very long film.

(2) I miss that dog all the time.  Just like Playboy was a once in a lifetime horse, Paige was a once in a lifetime dog.  It took me a year to establish full dominance over her, but after that she was the light of my life.  She shared my bed (sleeping tight by my spine), my mandatory nightly walks, my one sided conversation.. she was a smart dog, and after training she used her powers for good.  As much as I miss her, I'm grateful to have had the chance to know her.  To know just how great a dog can be.  And look, now I'm crying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment