Wednesday, April 25, 2012

State of the Schnorkie Address

"eArThworm has left a new comment on your post "Not a paean to Pizza Hut": 

OK, forget the pizza, HOW'S THE SCHNORKIE??? "


Well, since you asked so nicely.


The Schnork isn't doing so hot.  I took her back to the vet for her followup appointment, and she dry-heaved while we were there. Not an encouraging sign.  We got access to her food allergy testing results from 2010 and we're moving her onto a venison and sweet potato food (which is what Beauty is on).  So far she likes it.  I don't know yet if it will cause untoward gastronomic reactions or not.


Schnork trying to leave the examining room




I also asked the doctor (A new doctor, and a man.  There has never been a male doctor at this clinic since I started taking animals there in 1999.  But he seems competent and friendly.) to take a look at the Schnork's leg.  He is reasonably certain that it's not broken, and that her patella hasn't slipped.  He thinks she may have a torn ligament - either a new injury or a tweak of an old one.  He gave her an injection of anti-inflammatories and sent us home with more to give orally, and instructions to keep her quiet for 3-4 days.  Sure, YOU try to keep a yorkie quiet.  Even in the crate she has 3-4 strides (at least!) of room from side to side.  


She's too uncomfortable to just lie still and sleep for any length of time, so she gets up and moves around a lot.  I do have permission to walk her on the leash for visits to the outhouse, thank goodness, and she was walking great this morning.  By the time JD got home, she was super lame again.  He dosed her at probably 4 pm, and by 8 pm when I got home, she was still quite lame.  So I don't know how well these particular painkillers are going to work out.


It seems likely that if she has a torn ligament, we will just drug her (with the current drug, Metacam, or with Rimadyl) and let her be.  Her other three legs aren't supporting much weight, and she gets around quite well as a tripod.  Right now we're just kind of waiting to see if she heals with rest.


Schnork in jail



So that's how the Schnork is doing physically.  Mentally and emotionally, she's integrating pretty well into the household.  I have caught her licking Olli and Dori.  She's sniffed noses more with Beauty, but every so often she goes all chainsaw and shrieking, and poor Beauty's all "MY NOSE!  MY NOSE!" but so far I don't think they've actually hurt each other.  The possible exception is Beauty whacking the Schnork with her giant Labrador tail.  The Schnork takes exception to that.


She is completely gaga over JD and loves nothing better than to be less than six inches from him. I take that back.  Even more, she would love to lick him.  But he's allergic to dog spit, and he gets a rash if she licks him, so she has to settle for licking me.  I don't mind.
  
Soaking wet Schnork drying out under JD's t-shirt this weekend.  He literally gave her the shirt off his back.

3 comments:

  1. So you are now calling her officially the Schnorkie? :) I'm lovin this..you are such a good mama...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. (nicely, this time) I'll relax a bit now.

    I'd give my right arm to be able to write like you. Wait . . . I'm right-handed, so I wouldn't be able to write at all. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call her all sorts of things. Gachnar, Dogwai, the Schnork, and sometimes we even call her Princess.

    eArThworm, you could always consider giving up something else. An earlobe?

    ReplyDelete