Friday, January 20, 2012

My comfy pants await

IT IS THE WEEKEND, BABY! And yes I was shouting.  It's been a long, hard week.  Even though it was only a four day week.  Mother in the hospital, wild temperature fluctuations while my horse is wearing his blanket and cursing me, incipient cold which can't make up its mind to go beyond a sore throat and overuse of Kleenex, physical therapy occasionally kicking my arse, major hardware failures, OS issues, and also I'm trying to lose weight.  Again.  (Because, as I told JD last night, twenty years of failure doesn't mean I'll fail this time.)

I was so happy when my workweek was over today.  Assuming it really is. I'm not technically on call, yet whenever trouble occurs you'll see me trudging into the office.  Okay, really you'll see me RACING into the office, because I am NOT going to be the one to blame when we start losing data from (multiple) spacecraft.  Or worse, when instruments fail on spacecraft because commands didn't get uploaded correctly.  No.  I am getting my ass to the office and fixing the problems, assuming I'm not drunk.

Maybe even if I am drunk.  On more than one occasion, JD has driven my tipsy self into the office so I could lay on hands.  It turns out that sobriety is not an absolute requirement for system administration.  I don't think too well when drunk, but I can flip switches with the best of them.  Same goes for major illness and incapacitation due to degenerative disk disease.  Just put me on a hand cart and roll me up to the machine.  I'm fine.

It's supposed to ice storm all weekend.  Okay, okay, it's supposed to "ice pellet" all weekend but I'm not sure how that's different from a storm.  No lightning?  I don't know.  But my theory is that it won't be safe to leave the house, and I'm going to be forced to wear my comfy pants and sit on the sofa all weekend.  And drink beer.  Maybe eat cookies.  Maybe watch some low quality tv.  I don't know.  But I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do anything productive.

Normally, of course, I would go out on Saturday and walk six miles.  I've been aiming to walk twelve (doing the loop twice) and if it weren't for our ice pellet storm tomorrow would definitely have been the day I did it.  Bummer.  What can I do?  My comfy pants await.

No comments:

Post a Comment