Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Coming soon: An Ode to Donut Day

Today started week four of physical therapy.  Today's exercises were mostly the same as last Thursday's, except they felt easier.  I continue to be amazed at how the human body (in this case mine) works.  One time!  It takes one time for a hard exercise to become easy.  Wacky.

Of course, I'm not saying that I don't hurt afterward.  I hurt.  Which is why I'm there in the first place.  It generally hurts when I do things, and now I'm doing things twice a week.  I have to have faith that with some work it will get better.

I like to think that one of my nicer attributes is that I'm not afraid to work.  I don't mind hard work if there is a suitable reward at the end.  I don't mind waiting a long time for that reward, as long as I know it's there.  I'm doing all the exercises with a smile on my face, because I know that I'm working toward a goal.  And I'm trying to pay attention to what I'm doing so that later, when I'm on my own, I can do the exercises for maintenance.

However, in the meantime, I'm kind of sore.  I need to find my Icy Hot.

I stopped by the farm to check in on Pluto this evening.  It was daylight!  Kinda!  It felt fantastic to leave work with the sun still up.  It made me smile all over.  I took a walk today, too, and that was similarly awesome.  But back to Pluto.. he's holding his own.  His weight loss has definitely halted.  He isn't gaining, but that's okay.  He'll pork up when the grass comes in.  I don't want to cram grain down his throat (not that he is objecting) and potentially run into metabolic issues.  Assuming he holds steady, I think we're in a good place, food and hay-wise.

I'm thinking I'm also going to stop cramming grain down my own throat.  When I got back from the trail and started seeing a naturopath, she had me refrain from a lot of things, including processed carbohydrates.  No baguettes, no french fries.  Like that. And I felt pretty good.  I've gotten out of that habit, and I think I want to get back into it.  Right now I'm trying to remember what all it involved, and making some grocery / meal / snack lists.

Donut Day is going to be the hardest.  Alas, Apple Fritter, I hardly knew ye.

No comments:

Post a Comment