Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm going on the Pluto diet plan

Pluto and Mystery are driving us all nuts by refusing to be plump.  They got a new bale today, which Pluto promptly stuck his nose into:

Isn't that a nice looking run-in shed?

The new bale is to the left, the old bale that they were ignoring is to the right.  According to Bonnie, they were still eating an hour later.   By 7 pm I guess they were full, because they were just hanging out in the field.  I wanted to lead them back to the run-in and shove their heads in the bale.  The old bale, btw, looks perfectly good to human eyes.  Smells good, too.  But, the boys just weren't very interested.

Every person involved is trying to figure out why our two horses are not fat.  I mean, they should be fat.  They both have always been easy keepers, they have 24x7 access to a round bale, and we've increased their grain.  They get regular worming, vaccination, and vet care.  Pluto gets gobs of horse treats.

Neither one is scary thin, but neither one should really be thin at all. Ugh.

Our farm owner has been great, trying to help us figure it out and suggest solutions.  Not everybody would be that nice (or have the resources to be as helpful).  Thanks so much, John!

I've blanketed Pluto because it will be chilly the next few days, and he doesn't need to spend extra energy on staying warm.  I've emailed my vet to verify when his last dental check was.  And I'm trying to remain calm and give him time to eat down some of that new bale to see how much of a difference it makes.

Maybe I'm approaching this wrong.  I need to lose weight.  My formerly portly horse *has* lost weight.  I need to figure out what he's been doing and follow his lead.

In other news, I had my first session of physical therapy with actual exercises today.  So far, so good.  It seemed absurdly simple and easy.  I guess (I hope) it will ramp up.  So far I quite like the facility and the staff, and it's super convenient to where I work. And they take my insurance.  I really kind of hope my current company wins the re-compete for our contract at work, just so my dang insurance doesn't change again.  (For those of you arriving late, I work at a government facility, but my actual paycheck comes from a contractor.  I've lost track of how many companies I've worked for as contracts have changed hands.  I've worked with the same group of people at the facility the whole time. )

Seems like life is going to be a little busier for a while, finding an extra three hours a week for doing physical therapy.  Should be worth it though.  I look forward to the time when my spine is no longer stupid.  It'll be a nice strong friendly spine.  That's the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment