Saturday, January 7, 2012

Finalizing some backcountry plans

I've slowly but surely been gathering gear and working out some plans for cold weather backpacking, so I can go year round.  I have a four (ish) season tent, which is my Tarptent Rainbow.  I have snowshoes, though I don't intend to go on snowshoe-worthy trips at first.  I bought my first ever pair of winter hiking boots, although I need to actually hike in them to make sure they will work for me.  I have a 15 degree sleeping bag, and a down quilt to layer inside it.  I have a canister stove, which MIGHT work in cold weather if I keep the canister in my jacket the rest of the time.  I'll have to see on that one.  Alcohol is definitely out, and I don't have a great history with liquid fuel stoves, so I hope the Jetboil will do it.  The Jetboil site suggests yes, but says carry two canisters so you can rotate in a warm one from your jacket.

I'll definitely need to carry one of my larger packs just to fit all the fluffy warm stuff in.

I think my NeoAir will be okay as long as I layer it with a foam pad.  My Big Agnes didn't do AT ALL last year, as my feet hung over the end and they were wretched in the cold air.  Cascade Designs has, of course, come out with a warmer and lighter version of the NeoAir than the NeoAir I have now.  Of course they did.  Dang.

I think I'm good on clothing (my butt is literally covered by my insulated Skhoop skirt), but my feet get cold at night no matter what, so I've ordered some down slippers to wear in the bag.  I think I'm getting pretty close to being ready to take a trial run.  Just a one night trip at first.  I might even redo the same trip I did last February in Maryland, so conditions will be as close to the same as I can get them.  I might even set it up so I get to go to the South Mountain Inn's Sunday brunch, like last year.  That was awesome.

Add some single use handwarmers, a hot water bottle (leak proof, preferably) in my sleeping bag,  and a wee dram of scotch, and I think it sounds like a fabulous night out.

You know what, though?  I think I'll try the whole setup out on my porch.  Just in case.  If my feet start to freeze during the night, I have a giant, hot husband who'll let me warm up my parts on him indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment