Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I want a redo

Everything started to go wrong when I was getting ready for bed last night.  I blame Nazca.  He was being all cute and cuddly on the guest bed, so I went in to pet him.  On the way back out, I rammed my right foot into the pet gate.  I didn't break any toes, but I bruised them pretty good.  In bed, every time I turned over my foot hurt as the blankets pressed down on it.  And I was having a particularly insomniac night anyway.  Between the two I didn't get a ton of sleep.

When I finally did fall asleep, I had a horrible nightmare.  I dreamed I was riding Pluto in a dressage test, and somebody shot him dead.  Right under me.  Two shots and he was gone.  In my dream I was sobbing, those horrible wracking sobs that tear you apart.  I woke up and realized it wasn't true, that it was just a dream, but the feeling stuck with me.  Then I started remembering Playboy's death.

Despite those cheerful thoughts I was able to fall asleep again for a couple more hours, though I was partially awoken by a thumping noise.  I figured it was burglars.  Or the cats knocking over the Christmas tree.  One of those.

The alarm went off at 7:24 as it was supposed to.  I finally struggled my way to consciousness at 7:44.  Upon stumbling downstairs I found the Christmas tree smushed onto the floor.  I think after they knocked it down they trompled on it because it's looking pretty flat.  I set it upright again but it leans now.  The poor star is pointing ninety degrees off to the side instead of up at the ceiling.  JD is going to try to tie the tree up to the ceiling, but given that it comes in three sections I think I'll wake up one morning soon to the top section dangling and the bottom sections on the floor again.  (Still, we have to try.  It's that or no tree this year.  Those rotten cats.)

It turns out that the ornaments we put on the tree weren't entirely unbreakable after all.

At breakfast I realized that we were just about out of milk.

All day it was cold and dark and gloomy - both outside and in my head.  I don't know why a dream affected me so much, but it did.  I'm glad I'll be seeing Pluto tomorrow night, to reassure myself that he's the same old loving, pushy, brilliant, hyper pudge that he's always been.

No comments:

Post a Comment