Monday, November 21, 2011

Less expensive hiker things

An aside:  I'm pretty disappointed in my digestive system.  Today I ate lunch and my the lower half of my abdomen swelled up like there was a basketball in it.

I really enjoyed that year of eating.  I'm going to miss it.

Okay, so yesterday I suggested things to buy your hiker if you're rich.  Which I realize most of us aren't.  Today I thought I'd point at the more affordable things that most hikers are likely to use.

Like a pepsi can stove.  Totally not fancy, but lightweight and very functional.  This, or a variation on it, has been my caping stove for a few years now.  You can make your own (my first was homemade) or buy one for $12.
AntiGravityGear Alcohol Stove .4 oz Pepsi-style

Also, a pot cozy.  I made my first several from Reflectix purchased at Lowe's.  It's meant for insulating water heaters, but it works fine on camping pots.  ~$10 if somebody else makes it.  Really if you're going to need more than one, it pays to buy the roll of Reflectix.  And some metal tape.  That and scissors are all you need to make your own cozy.
AntiGravityGear Pot Cozy

The tent I use these days is a Lightheart Awning Tent.  I used to use a Tarptent Rainbow all the time, and I still have it.  The LightHeart tents are effectively regular tents - there is a ton of mesh, so you get no condensation.  In suspect weather, that's my preference.  For good weather, the Rainbow has more useable space inside, IMHO, and can be set up free standing.  That can be very handy.  The Rainbow is mostly a silnylon surface, so in heavy rain (common in Appalachia) you definitely will get misting inside.  Which is annoying.  However I note that Henry is now selling a new tarptent that looks competitive with the Lighthearts - The Tarptent Notch.  All of the tents are in the $200-$260 range, which is fairly standard for a one man tent.
The Lightheart Awning tent
Tarptent Notch
Tarptent Rainbow

Unfortunately, I don't know of any really reasonably priced sleeping bags.  Maybe on clearance?

Most hikers will want a knife.  They don't need anything more complicated than a tiny swiss army knife.  You need a small blade and a little pair of scissors.  That's it.  $13.  Like this:
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic Translucent Pocket Knife

I don't have a handy link, but trash compactor bags are very nice and helpful.  Maybe they don't make great gifts, but they make *great* pack liners.  Because pack covers?  Do not keep backpacks dry.

Also, pint sized freezer Ziplocks are very, very useful for repackaging foods into single portions.

Your hiker probably has very specific sock needs for hiking, but most everybody could use a nice fluffy pair of wool or fleece socks for pampering their feet at night.  $10-$20 depending on how fluffy we're talking.

They aren't common but they're one of the most useful items I've used:  a rain wrap.  It's basically a waterproof skirt.  It might not sound like much, but after a few hours in the rain, your upper half might still by dry (not likely!) but your lower half definitely won't be without more protection than a rain coat.  Dryish pants can make or break your day.  $30

Also, a 3 ounce wind jacket is nearly indispensable.  You can hike it in it when it's too hot for a raincoat but too cold and windy for just a shirt.  It makes a great layering item too - stopping the wind makes a huge difference.  A bit pricy at $80, but I've yet to have one tear or otherwise wear out.

DYNAMO WIND JACKET WOMEN'S
I use these gloves for everything, and as such I go through a pair every year or two.  I love, love, love them.  Power Stretch gloves.  They're on the order of $25.  I have enough feeling to handle gloves and zippers in them - I only have to take them off to pee or fiddle with my iphone.  Which might be too much personal information.
Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Glove


No comments:

Post a Comment