Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lunchtime update and the Apocalypse

I have been having apocalyptic dreams for the last week or two.  Dreams in which I am fending off intruders, or searching for food, or retreating from rising flood waters.  I don't know what this portends but it can't be good.  Maybe you should stock up on essentials.  You know, like beef jerky and batteries.

I hopped on the scale this morning and it sneered at me.  Apparently I've gained six pounds in the last week and a half.  Kind of shocking when you consider that I spent six of those days dragging a backpack up and down mountains.  Less shocking when I ponder the overeating I did afterward.  Hiker hunger is bad enough without the opportunities provided by faire food.  Soft ice cream, a deep fried oreo, sodas, fries to die for (those I don't regret, and I will be experimenting with dill seasoning in the future), second breakfast, really big first breakfasts..  yeah.  I was hungry.  And I didn't hold back.  But still.. six pounds?

Ah well.  Back to the straight and narrow for me.  JD bought me some celery.  Unfortunately, when I was rooting around in the cabinet for some lunch to put in my lunchbox, I came across the astronaut ice cream.  I had intended to take it backpacking but didn't because I was running low on space and high on weight.  I immediately forgot about everything else and ate freeze dried ice cream.  Then I logged it in Sparkpeople.  Sigh.  And I still had to go back and figure out lunch.  Fortunately I only had the one package of ice cream in there so I didn't run into any GroundHog Day ice cream scenarios.

Hiker hunger is abating but hasn't left entirely.  I suppose it will take another day or two.  The hunger hit a lot harder and faster this time than last, probably because I was already dieting before I left for the trail.  Weather isn't cooperating with me getting back into my regular exercise routine, which isn't helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment