Friday, May 20, 2011

Debbie Harry sang a song about it once

Aw, crap.  I got to watching tv (well, downloaded episodes of tv, seeing as we have neither cable nor reception) and forgot I had a blog.  I almost went to bed.  But then I would have woken up in a cold sweat.  And I intend to take a shower before bed, so the sweat would have been annoying.

So, let's see.  Y'all ready for some Rapture?  Rapturing?  Rapturousness?  Raptors?  I'm thinking about having a party.  Some people say there will be folks floating up in the sky.  Somebody else told me it will happen like a flash of lightning.  You'll be walking along and you'll look over and Bob will be gone.  I didn't manage to get the details on whether or not Bob will take his cellphone and chinos to heaven, but if he doesn't I'm sure he wouldn't mind you taking them after he's gone.  None of the descriptions of heaven I've read have involved cellphones, and I think they wear robes there.  I suppose there could be pants under the robes.  At any rate the electronics are a safe bet.

So I was thinking I might sit out on the porch and drink a Double Bag and wait for floaters and/or looters.  At the office I put up a sign that said "No looting please.  We're sinners.  We'll still need all our stuff."  I'm just making an assumption on the part of my office mates, but I'm pretty sure if you dug deep enough you'd find some sin.  Maybe just one of those small sins, like envy.  Technically as an atheist I'm not a sinner because I don't have anyone to sin against (feel free not to correct me if I'm wrong) but that didn't stop the Inquisition and it probably wouldn't stop looters.

Rapture aside, I have some pretty exciting plans for tomorrow.  Rubbing goop onto Pluto's chin, hanging out while he gets his pedicure, maybe fly spraying a little.  Then shoe shopping.  I realize that everybody who has ever met me wonders why I need to shop for shoes when I wear the same pair of hiking boots every day, but I have this crazy idea that I might find some trail runners that fit well enough that my feet don't slide down to the toe when I'm standing on a steep slope.  If I found those, I could wear them every day instead.  Though I really need to get a formal pair, because regular trail shoes don't go with quite everything.  I didn't wear a skirt today because it wouldn't go with my hiking boots, for instance.

Aaaand it's a blog.  Time to hit the showers.  Night all!

4 comments:

  1. Can you not just get custom made? Isn't it, in the long run, better to just do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is why I wear the creepy monkey shoes! the new laced ones (bikila ls?) are quite nice. good luck rapture-watching!

    _k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom: The only choice in customs used to be heavy duty boots. I see that there are people making custom trail runners now so I may look into that. It's a fairly expensive gamble though..

    Kobi: Do they give arch support? JD thinks I might be a good candidate for them because I don't strike hard with my heel, but I'm concerned about shock absorption, arch support, and toe protection..

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, hard to say. the arch part is molded up, but I have absurdly high arches, and have no idea what arch support would even do. my arches have never met a support that came anywhere near them. but my feet don't slide around in them, and I still haven't sprained my ankle while wearing them (not for lack of trying), and they worked well on the billy goat trail and on one of the shennandoah trails last week. I wear them all the time-- they've been good for up to 8 miles of city walking for me. the toe protection comes a bit up and over on the toes, like the Keens. won't save you if you drop something on the top of your toes, but can save you from a full-on stubbing.

    _k

    ReplyDelete