Monday, February 20, 2012

Whee new tent!

My new tent actually arrived several days ago, but I haven't had the time and energy to get it out and set it up until today.  I'm glad I had a long stretch of time, because I spent at least an hour just cutting, singeing, and knotting cords for guylines.  Oy.

Anyway, with that all done, I took it out into the yard to set it up.  The instructions are one page, typed.  No pictures.  I had to read carefully.  First I attached all the different length guylines to the correct spots, and then I worked on actually setting it up correctly.  However, it was fairly straightforward.  The geometry made it set up MUCH more nicely than my fairly similar Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis, since sold off to a lucky bidder on Ebay.

I must say, I'm pleased with the tent.  I weighed it after attaching all the guylines.  In the stuff sack, sans stakes, it weighs 13.5 oz.  Not too shabby!  It is extremely roomy inside.  There is a surprising amount of head room.  I should have guessed, since it wanted my hiking pole extended to 52" (which is pretty tall for an ultralight one man tent.)  While I had the pole extended, I painted a circle on it at the right spot.  My poles are unmarked so finding any specific length requires a measuring tape.  This way I'll always be able to find the right length.  Until the paint wears off.

The included seam sealer wants to be applied when it's over 60 degrees out.  It wasn't that warm today.  It will be later in the week, but I'll be at work.  I might come home from work for an hour just to seam seal, as it will be over 70 one day this week.  On the other hand, it's not supposed to rain this weekend, so I could go with an unseamsealed tent.  That pretty much guarantees rain, though..

I was texting DeLee while setting it up and having a look at it, so without further ado here are the pictures I took for her:

The view from inside looking out

My feet all the way down at one end.  Note the lots of room over them.

It takes TEN guy lines, which is a lot.  The guy lines sort of take the place of tent poles.

I'm sitting in one front corner, which my coat tossed down at the other end.  You can see the six inch gap all the way around the bottom.  That's mesh.  I'm sitting on the ground sheet, which is *inside* the tent.

With the extended beak down, for privacy or protection from driving rain.

Doggie is posed for size comparison.

A view showing how wide the door is.  Extended beak is rolled up.

And this view from the side sort of shows the bathtub floor of the groundsheet,  In theory I need to seam seal the ground sheet, but I can't find the seam!  I'll have to email Joe.


No comments:

Post a Comment