Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Inaugural AT 2010 Reminiscence Hike

I flew out to Tennessee this weekend.  Cody had the genius idea of getting some 2010 thruhikers together.  It was me, her, and Just Blue Skies.  Blue Sky was invited too, but she had a grandbaby on the way and couldn't be torn away from the expectant mother's side.

I had a *fantastic* time.  It was so fun and relaxing to get together.  We hiked all three of the full days we had together.  Cody only hiked two because she had school one day, but JBS and I went out on a couple of short hikes that day.

The first day of hiking, we met up with Cody's friends Lillian and Marnell for a hike down to Virgin Falls.  

It started out nice and easy, but it didn't stay that way

The first of many falls on the trail

Almost a classic Cody shot - the red jacket is missing.

Just Blue Skies and her fancy new daypack

Cool overhanging rock wall

Virgin Falls.  It comes out of a hole in the rocks, and it thunders down into a hole in the rocks.  It's a feature of the porous geology of the area.

Coming back, Lillian and Marnell led us off trail, across country.  It was definitely tougher than staying on the trail, but it was a lot of fun.  I would have found the hike challenging prior to some of my New England hiking, but without a backpack it was just a really, really good time.  I loved meeting Cody's friends.  They're definitely my kind of people.

In the morning JBS and I headed on out to a really nice overlook

And then we walked out to Welch Point, which was a flat road walk in a gated off area.

Then we spent the afternoon slowly getting colder, as neither of us were bright enough to figure out that Cody's thermostat had a touch screen.  We stared at it like chimps, trying to figure out where the buttons were.  Doh.  I made Cody's little dog Nutmeg stay on my lap to keep me warm.

Friday night, Stickwalker and Belle showed up!  I'd been texting Stick, trying to convince him to join us, but I didn't think he would do it.  It was great to see both of them.  This is the group watching JBS's trail photo compilations.

In the morning, it was way below freezing.  I had bought a bottle of Cheerwine to take on the trail, but I decided to drink it at home rather than risk it freezing in my pack.  I can't get Cheerwine at home very easily.  Note that my low carb menu went out the window while I was hiking. 

We all headed out to Falls Creek Falls.  Here's Stick and Belle, back on the trail!

Stick dayhiked with his thruhiker pack!  I had my little daypack I've been using for dayhiking and as luggage for the last decade or two.  I didn't even notice he was using a giant pack until later when I saw it in the house.

I was a little saddened to see that Belle apparently has Bell's Palsy.  She got sick with Lyme on the trail, and that's one of the possible problems with it.  One side of her face doesn't work quite right.  It doesn't appear to bother her, though.  Belle took a fair amount of damage from the trail but she's still a pretty happy dog.  Stinky, but happy.  I love that crazy Weimaraner.



So, here's another falls.  You can see too many falls, if you ask me.

Back in the woods, I fantasized that I was back on the AT.  It was nice.  I daydreamed about what the shelter would be like that night, and about snuggling into my sleeping bag, and meeting other thruhikers.  I didn't fantasize about blisters, hiker stench, or ramen.  My fantasy, my rules.
It was such a good time.  We're hoping to make it an annual tradition.  I talked and laughed so much that my throat hurt.  I figure we hiked around 20 miles, so those oreos were TOTALLY REASONABLE.  I don't know what my excuse for the wine was.

Tomorrow morning it's back to physical therapy, work, and low carbs.  I'm a little scared to step on the scale.  But I don't regret one single minute of this weekend.  Or one oreo.

No comments:

Post a Comment