Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pumpkorn would be a good name for a band

Do you ever have days where you never really wake up?  I'm having one of those days.  Even though I have cooked and hiked and driven and done dishes, I'm not really awake.  I caught sight of myself in the rear view mirror and I have pouches under my eyes, as if I had just spent 48 hours awake.  When in fact I got 10 hours of sleep last night.

I'm on day 5 of trying to eat fewer carbohydrates, and so far I have irritated everybody who has ever been born, and also some zygotes.  For instance they say "Would you like a brownie?" And then their brows furrow with consternation as I explain that I'm eating low carb, and I'd rather have a bunch of spinach.  And some almonds.  Eating different food from everybody else is a little bit trying.  I suppose I've just given myself a valuable life lesson in what it's like to be a vegan, strict kosher, gluten free, or other strict diet type eater.  I'm sorry, y'all.  I'm sure it's hard for you.  And you're probably not just doing it on a whim, either.

The thing is that my whim is working out pretty well.  It's easier to eat less when I'm eating a lot of fat and protein.  More satiety.  Also, in the last 5 days I've lost 2 pounds.  That might not seem like much to you, but I've spent much of the last year not losing ANY pounds while eating a low fat, low calorie diet, and exercising vigorously.  So to me this is a minor miracle.

It is an unnatural way to eat, for me.  I couldn't do it at all if I didn't have supplemental enzymes to take with meals.  (Because of my nonfunctional digestive processes, I can't eat very much fat without pain.  Say, six grams at a time.  Supplemental enzymes fix that.  )  But I do, and I am. And so far so good.  I guess I'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

I'm trying different foods, and of course not eating things like bread and pasta, so my plates sure look different.  For snacking I picked up some Pumpkorn, which are yummy spiced pumpkin seeds.  I got Adobo Chile flavor and they're so, so good.  I also tried a recipe for a homemade MIM (muffin in a minute) microwave muffin.  It was horrible.  I'm going to try another variation tonight, because the idea is enticing.  I suppose if it is also horrible I will give up.  Which would be sad, because it's a nutritional powerhouse.

Oh, also?  It would appear that Uncle Sam has done something odd with taxes, because JD and I have been withholding the same way for years, and this time we owe very much when normally we don't.  Or perhaps it's not Uncle Sam's fault, but the point remains that we are going to be handing over a large chunk o' cash to the IRS soon, and we are not best pleased.  And we need to change our withholding.

No comments:

Post a Comment