Tuesday, February 14, 2012

But if I take the drugs I'll have a less holiday themed face

The sore throat that's been dogging me for the last week or so finally resolved into something yesterday morning.  A cold.  Not a horrible cold, apparently.  But with chills, and aches, and snot.  I toughed it out as long as I could, which was about three hours.  I'm not very tough.

I came home and lay down on the sofa, and when I woke up I had several cats on me.  And there was lukewarm pizza in the kitchen.  I had some, then went upstairs to bed.  *conk*

After thirteen cumulative hours of sleep, I was too sore to stay in bed.  I think.  Honestly there's no telling how long I would have slept if the alarm hadn't gone off.

I decided to keep my coughing and my chills to myself, and telecommute.  But first:  doctor's appointment.  It was a bit of a let down.  They had not much clue about ocular rosacea.  I'm not sure why the ophthalmologist sent me to a dermatologist.  Apparently, however, only internal treatment will fix ocular rosacea.  The internal treatment is 40mg of Doxycycline a day, in the form of Oracea.  $547/ month, without insurance.  $10 with.

I am not thrilled with the idea of daily antibiotics for life.  Nor am I convinced that my ocular rosacea is bad enough to require treatment.  I'm giving it a shot for now.  The 40 mg a day dosage is supposed to be anti-inflammatory but not anti-microbial.  I have a return appointment to see the dermatologist in six weeks.  Regardless of what she says, if my eyes don't feel less dry and scratchy by then, no more drugs for me.

Are there holistic ophthalmologists out there?  I'm sure there's some dorky treatment like rosewater eyedrops that a) works, and b) doesn't give you a lifetime of yeast infections and sunburns and resistant bacteria.

The dermatologist also prescribed me a gel and a facial wash for the redness.  I guess I'll give it a try, but I don't really see me as committing to a lifetime of drugging my face.  The redness doesn't bother me, it only bothers other people who see me.  Perhaps I could just get some of those cheap sunglasses to hand out to people who are disturbed by my face.

Anyway, so that was my morning.  A mild cold and a lot of fairly useless prescriptions.

Heh!  I just realized that I forgot to wear red for Valentine's Day, but at least my face was red!

My sweetie got me a Valentine's Day card that was bigger than Oliver.

And for dinner he made me a heart shaped fried egg.  Aw!



No comments:

Post a Comment