Thursday, February 16, 2012

It's not Buffy, but it's close enough

OSX and I continued our unfriendly relationship today.

Did you know that if you had two OSX machines who each have the same hostname (internally to themselves) but different IP addresses, they'll figure it out and one will add a "2" to its name?  You might have noticed this if you've replaced one of your machines before.

Did you know that the only good way to tell the "2" machine to assume its real name is to use the scutil command?

Did you know that this won't fix any mailing list information you might have imported (which also got changed to "2" once the machine realized it had a twin), and you'll need to use the mailman "withlist" command to fix the hostname?  Like so:


/usr/share/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url my-mailing-list -u my.hostname.com

I didn't.  At least not that last little part.

For those of you whose eyes haven't already glazed over, I did think about things other than OSX today.  I had my second reassessment at PT today.  I'm doing well front and back, but when I lean from side to side I shake.  Apparently.  More strengthening needs to be done.  They're getting me permission to have more appointments.  I'd guess at least another month.  I haven't asked yet about maintenance - do I keep doing the same exercises I do there?  Do I try to increase intensity?  I dunno.  I should ask about these things.  However, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't work on my cobra pose immediately before doing the PT exercises.  That's what happened in the last 24 hours, and my back is going "yow!"

A coworker lent me a book today.  It's entitled "Carpe Demon (Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom)".  Charlaine Harris described it thusly:  "Shows you what would happen if Buffy got married and kept her past a secret."  My coworker immediately thought of me when he found it, what with my unmedicated obsession for all things Buffy.  I'm seventy pages in and it's pretty butt-kicking so far.  I'll have to give it back to him after I'm done.  He actually gave it to me to read first.  Wow.  Just goes to show that people can be much, much more considerate than me.  I'd have read that sucker first.

No comments:

Post a Comment