Thursday, May 17, 2012

I probably looked like I was doing a funny walk

So what's the difference between regular backpacking and long distance backpacking?  Town stops.  You don't just have to carry more food and more fuel, you have to carry the things you'll need in town.  Clothes to wear while you wash everything else.  Cords to recharge your gadgets.  Phone cards.  Shampoo.  That sort of thing.

You think by now it'd be second nature to me.  I've done enough long distance hikes by now.  But I don't do them so very often, and I forget.  Also my gear is scattered around the house (inevitably.)  I suppose that I will spend the next few weeks corralling my sarong and my chargers and my this and that.  Like, maps for Vermont and New Hampshire.  I know they're around here somewhere.  Right?

I had to go up and down the stairs at work today.  I had to do that quite a lot.  So I took advantage of the situation.  I went up two at a time to work myself on something a little bit like going up a mountain.  And then I went down two at a time for something like going down a mountain.  That part is much trickier.  Anybody can take a big step up.  Taking a big step down just feels wrong.  I held onto both handrails and still felt unsafe.

Betcha I hurt tomorrow.

I need to pack up a backpack to wear on this weekend's hike with DeLee - both to train for the weight, and to slow me down.  She appreciates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment