Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I need some rocks to climb on.

I feel like I'm kind of winding down on this blogging thing.  Maybe it's just because there's a new season of Eureka on tv.

I'm gearing up for this year's "long hike", although to me it won't feel that long.  I'm taking off two weeks to hike north on the AT from Woodstock, VT, to wherever I get.  And then a couple of months after that I plan to thruhike Shenandoah.  I should really count it, it'll be nearly two weeks, but it'll be on known territory.  I've lost track of how many times I've hiked some of those pieces of trail.

So, pretty much focusing on the New England hike.  I need to start doing some specific training for it.  In addition to regular walks, weekend hikes, my PT which I'm now doing at my gym, yoga, and horse back riding (whew), I need something to get my big step / climbing muscles engaged.  Not sure what, entirely.  A few trips to the Billy Goat trail will help, but something I can do more regularly would be good too.  Maybe finding a stadium and going up two steps at a time?  Or going up and down the stairs at home two at a time?  I don't know.  I'll figure something out.  Or I'll just suffer a lot on the trail.  Maybe both!

As usual I'm focused on lightening my pack as much as possible.  It's probably futile, as looking at the guidebooks I think I'll have to carry a lot of food once I get past Hanover.  That, or I'm going to be hitching into tiny little towns to get myself some grub.

Actually I'm not sure where, if anywhere, I'm going to take a zero day.  Which means I'll need to wash clothes on the trail and figure out a place to charge my electronics.


No comments:

Post a Comment