Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I said things to people and I didn't die

Today was the day of my first Toastmasters speech.  My icebreaker. (That's what they call it.)  I prepared carefully.  I met with my mentor.  I rehearsed my speech mentally.  I rehearsed my speech out loud, recorded it, and listened to the playback.  Three times.  I planned my lunch, my outfit, and my daily schedule around the meeting.

This morning when I woke up, my entire torso felt like there were bees buzzing around within it.  I briefly contemplated some chemical help in the form of Xanax, but I figured that while chemistry may help with better living, it probably won't help me get over my phobia.  So I stayed unmedicated.  However, I was careful not to add to the bees.  No caffeine for me.

(Supersonic "eeeeeee!" buzzed around in my brain all morning.)

I got nothing of substance done in the office in the morning.  I tried to.  But no, nothing.  I timed my speech again.  I tried to read emails.  I checked to make sure I had everything I needed.  Finally, it was time to walk to the building where the group meets. Fifteen minutes early, of course.  Today would have been a bad day to be late.

We met in a different room today.  EVERY OTHER MEETING was in one room.  A room I was familiar with.  A room I was comfortable with.  Not today.  Special for today we met in a glass walled conference room.  Today's room goes by the appellation of the Skybox.  I felt like I was on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.  From the speaker's position, you could see all the way down the building, and down into the atrium.  Yikes.

I met and talked with Becky while waiting for the meeting to start.  A lot of members didn't show up, including my evaluator.  Becky volunteered to evaluate my speech for me.  This was a lucky thing for me, because Becky would have made an excellent cheerleader. By the time she got done evaluating my speech, I felt like I had won an Academy Award.  According to Becky, I'm awesome.

The actual speech went fairly well.  I left out some parts, but that's fine.  I stayed within my time limits.  I wanted to make it closer to the long end than the short end, since I have a hard time speaking long enough.  I accomplished that.  Also, I didn't hyperventilate, faint, or cry.  Apparently I looked confident.  Looks are deceiving. But that's why I wore that irresistible purple sweater today.

I was amused and a little appalled to note that some of the others in their comments had mentioned that I should try not to use note cards.  The manual specifically says you can use them.  I had six note cards, which I referred to three times (in total).  And I didn't hold them, I left them sitting on the lectern.  So really?  For my first speech, you think I should have tried to avoid using note cards?  Do you remember what a first speech is like?

Anyway, I survived and people were nice, and I got a ribbon.  Everybody gets a ribbon for their first speech.  It's pinned up on my desk now.

PS I talked about being a long distance hiker.  Several people were interested and requested variations on the topic for future speeches.  I may do all ten dang speeches on aspects of long distance hiking.

(eeeeee!)

2 comments:

  1. yahoo! you did it, and you did it well. Bursting with pride for you. You are definitely one of the brave. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the point of the feedback comments is to help people improve, when you get nit-picky comments like "try not to use note cards" it means that they couldn't find any BIG things to mention as "room for improvement" which means you NAILED it. Kudos!

    Keep talking about hiking. Talk about what you love. It will give you confidence and help the butterflies go away. You can move onto some other topic you love (horses?) when you feel up to it.

    ReplyDelete