Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bad Horse (not the Joss Whedon one)

I went out and rode Pluto today.  I'll just get straight to the point and tell you the bad parts.  He yanked the reins out of my hands while I was leading him and took off.  Repeatedly.  The first several times the reins survived being stepped on.  Finally they broke, and when he took off again they wrapped around his legs.  I hoped nothing bad would happen but that is exactly the kind of accident that can lead to broken legs, or legs so badly injured that you have to put the horse down.

As far as I can tell, he didn't hurt himself.  Which is nice because I don't need more vet bills.  A 3' chunk of rein is missing entirely.  But I can't find a mark on him, or any swelling.

Just at the point where he was really putting it into high gear, I think he surprised a deer.  He made a really sharp turn (I went back later and found hoof marks dug several inches down into the dirt) and came right back to me.  And that was it for the night.  He spent the rest of the one-rein walk back to his barn nuzzling me.  Sure, pal.  You were just a giant ass, broke your reins, and very nearly killed yourself.  I'm totally going to forgive you right away.

I gave him a long, angry talking to.  Back at the barn he stood quietly, untied, while I stripped his gear off of him and felt his legs very carefully.  And then he walked like a perfect gentleman to the field, where he did NOT get a cookie, for maybe the first time ever.  He was in shock.  And then he galloped down the field and went into his shed to sulk.

I guess we're not on very good terms at the moment.

Prior to the running away thing, he had actually been pretty good.  Sergio had some little kids with him, and he was very good about not spooking at their yelling and jumping though he clearly wanted to.  The walk over to the arena was nice.  He was actually quite good while I was riding.  Here's him, having just been good:

She has no idea I'm a time bomb about to explode.

It didn't occur to me to take a picture with broken reins, because I was fuming. Also it was dark.

I'll go back tomorrow and check his legs to be sure he really didn't take any damage.  And to see if he's ready to suck up to me.  That boy has some apologizing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment