Friday, March 18, 2011

So ready for the weekend

It has been a hell of a week, Internet.  Sick horse, sick dog, back went out, all kinds of weird technical problems at work, and today just NOTHING has worked right.  For instance, I went to get my hair cut, and the lights went out.  And I wasn't even that surprised because it's just been that kind of week.  I think Shamika may be good enough to cut by Braille.  Actually at that point I think she was done cutting.  But the point is my haircut still looks good, which is all Shamika.  I try to interfere as little as possible with the creative process.  I ask her to get it off my face and otherwise do as she likes.  And it always looks nice.  Voila.

The dog is feeling a fair amount better, although she definitely goes through rumbly tumbly times still.  It's amazing how nauseated an expression a dog can have.  As far as I know she hasn't barfed in a while.  Though thanks to the steroids she is drinking constantly and therefore peeing in the house.  So we're still wiping stuff up.  Her steroid dose dropped today.  We are hoping for a more just and pee-free environment in the future.

In the morning I'm running out to check on Pluto again (status so far:  lymph node is still swollen, solid, tender) but after that JD and I are picking up DeLee.  And JD is going to drop us off in the middle of nowhere for some girly hiking time.  I can't wait.  Hiking with DeLee is one of my favorite things to do.  The weather is supposed to be in the 50's, which if you ask me is pretty much perfect hiking weather.  And we're supposed to have the biggest full moon in years tomorrow night. 

We might have to hike up to the ridge to get the full view, as we're staying in a little valley.  But I think it's going to be amazing.  And I have a little scotch to help it along, just in case.

I weighed my pack out of curiosity.  Base weight for a trip with nighttime temps in the 30's:  18.6 lb.  26 lb with food, water, and fuel.  And enough chocolate to share.  It's a little bit luxe, maybe.  It feels heavy to me but JD says it's either really light or he's gotten really strong.  Either way, it doesn't bode well for the weight in the hundred mile wilderness in a few months.  The sweating, cursing redhead in the first 40 or so miles?  That'll be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment