Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chewing is overrated

Inspired by friends who have been juicing (in the sense of extracting juice from fruits and vegetables) for health reasons, I purchased a juicer recently.  And I'm kind of in love.  The fresh fruit juices are insanely good, and the fresh veggie juices are surprisingly tasty.  At least I was surprised.  Also, both are far more filling than I expected.

So I've been making the occasional juice.  My friends went whole hog on it, but I'm doing closer to one a day.  I've also been drinking Bolthouse Farms protein drinks, which are also surprisingly good.

Basically, I haven't been chewing as much recently.

I'm not sure how my innards feel about this.  They've been hitting me with some pretty sharp pains.  I think it might be girly stuff, though.  I think one of my ovaries might be trying to secede.  Which is all right.  One ovary is on my list of non-essential items, just like my appendix and gall bladder.  I wouldn't want to give up both ovaries, but one is okay.  When my life calms down on approximately Wednesday, I'll call and make an appointment to see my girly doctor to have her check out the situation.

I was less interested in calling that doctor until I talked to my chiropractor about it (she being my effective primary care physician) and she said that I needed to not be hiking two months from the last time I got the severe pain.  Because if it were my ovary, that would be the next time it would go into action.  Offensive action.  I did the math and realized I'd be somewhere in the White Mountains right around then, which does not count as "near medical care" in anybody's book.  Best to get checked out before then.

In the meantime, that general area continues to be pissy in the non-urinary sense.  It was breathtakingly painful during the one walk I got in this week.  And it's poked me a few times this weekend.  Stupid body parts.

Hopefully whatever it is doesn't get all severe this weekend, either.  It's my last backpacking trip prior to this summer's big trip to New England.  Ah, New England.  Home of epic scenery and even more epic biting flies.

This weekend I'll be trekking out to Shenandoah to do a tough hike in the southern section.  It's far enough away that I think I'll drive out Friday night and stay in Charlottesville.  DeLee had a conflict this weekend so she's not going - and she wouldn't have been up for this hike anyway.  I can't think of anybody in driving distance who would want to go so I guess I'll be listening to some podcasts while walking, this weekend.  I deliberately chose one of the toughest loops in the park so I can get in some training for New England.  We'll see if taking the stairs two at a time has made any difference.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, going on a strenous weekend hike to prepare for a more grueling hike isnt my idea of fun, fun, fun, but you go girl, you go and then tell me how to edit for spelling on this damn thing! Or better yet, order me a new brain. Mom

    ReplyDelete