Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Trip Report: Rockytop circuit hike day two

Big Run campsite to Brown's Gap,  6+miles, home

The voices kept going.  I had my peaceful mossy campsite to myself.  Bears didn't come get my food, though something clumsy did go crashing around breaking small limbs.  Bear, deer?  I don't know.  I was near a great spot on the river for going in to get a drink, so I probably had lots of company that I didn't know about.  I put in my ear plugs so my subconscious sentries would shut up about it.

I woke up at one point to see the moon peeking out through the trees.  Another time I woke to a roar and a spotlight - a low flying plane.  I have no idea why it was spotlighting the trees.

And then I opened my eyes and it was broad daylight.  Dawn kind of snuck up on me.  Usually I open my eyes once or twice and catch it creeping up on me, but not this time.  I kind of wanted to roll over and go back to sleep, but on the other hand the best hiking of the day would be early, while it was still cool.  I told myself that at a minimum I needed to get up and pee, and while I was up I might as well retrieve the food bag.  Once the food bag is down, that gets me rolling on the day.

But once the food bag was down, I realized something.  I had two breakfasts and one dinner in there.  Only one of those items could be served cold.  And my stove was acting up for last night's dinner, so I had used more fuel than expected.  I couldn't cook tonight's dinner or tomorrow's breakfast.  My decision was made for me regarding my path today.  Back to the car.

That decided, I packed up and started heading upstream.  I did the first mile in my crocs, as there were four wadeable stream crossings.  Usually I don't bother, but the trail was so gentle that I could afford to wear shoes with no support for a bit.  It was nice after the fourth crossing to be able to put on dry shoes and socks.

I saw far more people today than yesterday.  At least twenty compared to two.  Hiking in the park on a weekday was genius.  I'll have to do that again.  I plan to work some weekends in near future, which means I'd have weekdays available.

The first couple of miles went by very quickly.  Then I had a long uphill slog out of the canyon.  I drank three liters of water and sweated vigorously.  I started to be glad that I was going home rather than planning to hike all day.  I'd have needed at least five liters of water just to stay hydrated in the heat.  Instead, I got to the car a little after noon and drove somewhere air conditioned for yummy food and beverage.

I noted that the mileages on the park markers did not match the mileages in my guide book.  I haven't bothered to do the math, but the hike I did was a bit longer than I expected.  Which doesn't matter I guess.

I stopped at Loft Mountain Wayside for lunch.  There were a lot of motorcyclists and a few bicyclists there.  Nobody looked as grungy or sweaty as me.  Ah well.  Backpackers are in the minority even in a park like Shenandoah.  It seems odd to me because that's all I go there to do, but the vast majority of visitors just ride down the road on one form of transportation or another, and never see any of the beauty that isn't visible from the road.

Loft Mountain Wayside, btw, has incredibly good pulled pork bbq.  Just FYI.

After my insanely good sandwich, I drove home.  I know I didn't spend more time driving than hiking on this trip, but it sure felt like it!  I have to really want it to drive down to the southern end of the park.  Now I remember why I usually hike in the northern or central sections.

JD was surprised to see me home, not having gotten my text messages regarding my stove situation.  It was nice to see him, though, and to have a relaxed evening.  I don't know if my long weekend made up for my hellish work week, but I know it tried really hard.  The weekend deserves a commendation.  And a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. MS. READER: I'll tell you what's wrong with this blog, my lass. It's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
    BLOG-OWNER: No, no, it's uh,...it's resting.

    ME: So...what's up?

    ReplyDelete