Wednesday, June 27, 2012

2003 AT trip report Day 0

Before I started using Trailjournals.com, I was in the habit of posting trip reports to AT-L, the Appalachian Trail mailing list (which I'm still on.)  Because I never throw anything away, I still have those sent emails.  I came across my trip from 2003 last night and decided to repost the entries.  The trip started at I-40 (at the north end of the Smokies).  I hiked with Leapfrog, who I met in 2001 while hiking with DeLee, and Leapfrog's friend Ten-kid.




Saturday, May 3
Erwin

My friend Alex from work drove me to Miss Janet's House in Erwin, where I met up with Leapfrog and her friend Nancy.  POG is hanging out when I arrive.  What a nifty surprise (for both of us!)  The place is full despite a bunch of hikers heading to the hills for a cookout.

At 11 two beds are still empty but have stuff on them.  Martha Graham thinks the stuff belongs to hikers who've gone to the cookout and tells me to go sleep in one of them.  I do, and end up displacing somebody who was there after all.  Martha Graham can be very firm.

It all worked out.  The other top bunk was supposed to be taken by somebody who was really too sick to be climbing in and out of a bunk.  He slept on the sofa in easy reach of the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment