Sunday, January 6, 2013

In which Pluto is secretly good

I know I already blogged once today, but some things need to be said.  Also after this you probably won't hear from me for a month, because blogging is so exhausting.  Twice in one day.  Geez.

This afternoon I toddled out to the barn to see His Highness.  He was in fine form.  He did his typical "wait at the gate, then lose interest as soon as I approach" maneuver.  Mystery eating one of his cookies changed his mind.  Then he walked up and let me halter him, and I let him know that I wouldn't be taking any guff today.  He was amenable to this idea.

First I spent forever cleaning his behind.  Every time it gets warm, his innards loosen up.  And this whole dang winter has been nothing but a series of warmups.  Argh!  Neither of us enjoyed the freezing cold water from the pump, but I did eventually manage to make him semi-clean.  He could use a real bath with warm water.  Amazingly, he pretty much stood still for it.

Actually he stood for everything.  He was SO GOOD.  He was like a regular horse.  I wished that Aviva and Margaret were there today, rather than last weekend when he was being a dillhole.  He was so easy today.  Sigh.

He walked on the lead perfectly.  He longed without comment.  He was just basically nice and easy to be around.  And OF COURSE HE DOES THIS WHEN WE'RE ALONE!  Because why would he want to be good when there were other people around to see it?

It was 50 and no wind today, btw.  Last weekend it was cold and crazy windy.  But still.  You make me crazy, horse.

He produced a little cough and a little snot while I was out there, so I have an email in to my vet.  He doesn't seem massively ill, and my inclination is to let his immune system handle this.  Especially as he's not skinny anymore.  (Yay blanketing!)  Waiting to hear what the vet says.

Follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon is this week.  No idea what will happen at that appointment, but what I'm hoping is he'll say I can get back on the horse.  I would have today if I had the doctor's okay.  And if Pluto weren't snotty.  But you know what I mean. 

I'm okay with him continuing to be a secretly good horse if it means I get to benefit.

PS the arrogant, self-centered part of me wants to think that he was deliberately bad for visitors because he's mine, all mine, and nobody else should ever ride him.  I am beating that part down with two by fours.

No comments:

Post a Comment