Tuesday, August 30, 2011

All this inactivity is wearing me out

Last night I stepped into the shower (my very own shower) and started giggling.  Because I had noticed water droplets on my glasses.  I've worn glasses for over thirty years, and this was the first time I had forgotten I was wearing them and walked into the shower with them on.

I was really tired.

This morning I feel immediately into my normal home routine, the one where I hit the snooze once and then head downstairs.  I noticed that JD had managed to leave his phone home.  I packed up lunch (with extra snacks) and eventually got out the door.  As soon as I got to work and parked I realized that I had also left my phone home.  I felt naked and bereft.  No phone!  No podcasts!  No facebook!  No gmail!  Very sad.

This was the first thing I saw when I walked into my office:


My coworker had made a sign for me because I forgot before I left. It was hung from my cubicle, projecting out into the air.  You will note that he taped on an addendum.

Even the guys working on the building noticed I had been gone and welcomed me back (as  they cut panels to put into the hung ceiling.)  It was nice.

I managed to knock out about 500 of the 1100+ emails, not counting automated emails, that I got over the last month.  I hope nothing in the other 600+ was due today.

I went for my daily walk and found that the woods around work took quite a bit of damage from the hurricane.  I lost track of number of trees down, but there is a LOT more light getting to the ground than there used to be.  I think this is going to be one of those events that leads to change.  The extra light is going to let a lot of undergrowth grow up.  In a year or two my daily walk could lead me through a lot of different sights than I see now.

My first day back to work was pretty painful.  I'm used to walking all day now, and sitting still makes me ache.  I suppose I'll get used to slack again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment